Problem Solving is often a dreaded task. Why?
- Solving “word problems” is often overwhelming for students. Many times they choose two numbers and add.
- For the struggling reader, solving problems is a challenge. Energy is spent on conquering the text, not the math.
- Many students simply don’t answer what the question is asking.
We have solved those problems with Target the Question™, where the question is the focus! There is ONE passage to read each week. Read and understand that scenario on Monday and each day that week answer a different question about that same passage! After using this supplementary math program for 10-15 minutes each day, students will be able to find needed information, eliminate extraneous information and effectively use problem-solving strategies.
Target the Question™ is correlated to the Texas Essential Skills and Knowledge (TEKS) as well as the Common Core, so it’s compatible with any curriculum. It is also a rigorous program, focusing on critical thinking, application of problem-solving strategies, and selective use of information from passages and questions, so students will be prepared for any major exam, including the STAAR test. Best of all, all of these skills are covered in just minutes each day!
We proudly offer Target the Question™ in both bulletin board and digital formats! We even have a digital Spanish option for grades K-5, so every classroom will be able to prepare in the way that fits best. All versions have been updated to the newest TEKS, so you can rest assured that your students will be prepared for the STAAR with this rigorous supplement.
Target the Question™ Versions
The bulletin board version of Target the Question™ comes with everything you need to use it, including weekly passages, color-coded daily questions for each week, vinyl pockets for display, master copies of student think sheets, instructions, and lesson plans. As with all our products, Target the Question™ is printed with pride in the USA.
Just 10-15 minutes a day ensures that:
- Students can apply mathematics to everyday life using story mats paired with a ten frame, a linear +/- model, or number line.
- Students can record their mathematical ideas concretely, pictorially, and then abstractly.
The kindergarten bulletin board program includes:
- 20 sets of 8 full-color story mats to be inserted in custom made clear vinyl pocket folders for student use.
- 20 custom-made clear vinyl pocket folders
- 5 clear vinyl pockets to display the Problems of the Day.
- One full-color 8.5 x 14 addition poster
- One full-color 8.5 x 14 subtraction poster
- Plus 36 scenarios with color-coded daily questions, weekly student think sheet masters, and a teacher information packet
The Kindergarten version of Target the Question™ also includes 20 vinyl folders and 20 sets of story mats. These mats match the weekly scenario, and once loaded into the top-loading vinyl folders or laminated, they can be used by students to work out the daily questions!
We also carry water-soluble Stabilo® pencils for easy writing on vinyl and convenient cleanup.
Target the Question™ is sold as a 1-year license, and includes all of the features of the print version! Our Spanish translation of Target the Question™ is also only available in the digital format at this time, for grades K-5.
Each grade level includes different on-screen aids. Kindergarten, for example, has a number line and other tools to help visually teach students different solution options. First grade includes problem-solving mats, like a draw-a-picture tool, for extra practice with these hard-to-master strategies.